No intention to kill off the PCEHR: Royle
The head of the federal government's inquiry into the PCEHR, Richard Royle, said the panel had no intention to “kill off” the PCEHR but to ensure the system is a useful and workable clinical tool.
According to the Health Informatics Society of Australia (HISA), Mr Royle told the HITWA 2013 conference in Perth on Friday that the PCEHR was a “genuine opportunity to set up a system that can help all Australians with their healthcare” but that usability and implementation issues needed to be addressed.
The Department of Health has released a statement on behalf of Mr Royle saying that due to the short time frame given by Health Minister Peter Dutton, no public submissions would be taken.
Instead, the panel has decided to initially invite written submissions from the 210 organisations that have previously participated in consultations on the PCEHR.
"In addition the [panel] will have more detailed meetings with a number of key stakeholders to assist the [panel] to gain the views of those people most closely involved with the system," Mr Royle said. "These stakeholders will include IT, clinical, and consumer representatives."
The panel is due to report in mid-December.
Posted in Australian eHealth